Monday, August 3, 2009

Fresh from the Garden

Every year, I try to find at least a little space to grow plants.
It wouldn't be summer without my tomatoes. I make a special trip to Jung's in Madison every year so I can pick up a Moby Grape tomato plant. They're easy to grow (even in a pot on the balcony), perfectly sweet, and they seem to ripen at just the right rate so that I get a handful every day or two instead of having the entire crop turn red on the same day. (That's what my mother's Roma tomatoes are doing!)
The other plants I never go without are basil, parsley and chives. If I wanted to get them fresh at the grocery store, they cost about $2.50 for significantly more than I need. Instead, I pay $2-3 for each plant at the beginning of the season and just walk outside to pick the precise amount I need at any time.
Despite having actual garden space this year, I still put my herbs in a planter so they'll be easy to bring in. Chives will continue to grow indoors all year if they are watered and get enough sunlight. If you leave them outside over the winter, they will probably pop up again in the spring.
So how do I use my herbs? I substitue chives in any recipes I make that call for green onions. And I love the combination of fresh basil with ripe tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and balsamic vinaigrette. Depending on my mood, I'll make these as either a sandwich or a salad.
And, of course, my favorite cheese spread! I've adapted this recipe from something I once saw in a magazine.

3 oz fat-free cream cheese, softened
1/2 C fat-free cottage cheese
1 Tbsp snipped fresh chives
2 tsp minced fresh parsley
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Combine cheeses in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Fold in chives, parsley, and garlic powder until evenly mixed. Serve with crackers and vegetables. (My favorite combo is Ritz with tomatoes and black olives.)
Store extra spread in an airtight container in the refigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment